Friday, September 14, 2012

Cake balls. Easy enough, right?

Nerp! It would have been a lot easier if I had cake mix. See, my 2 year old likes to help so a cake mix would have been fast and I think the cake balls would have been more moist. I saw a cake ball recipe a little while ago that was super easy. All that had to be done was make a simple cake(any flavor), let it cool, crumble up the cake with your hands and make balls. I've had coconut oil for a few months now and have heard that it's great to bake with. So that's what I did. Instead of using regular oil, I used coconut oil(1/2 cup).

I also used the chocolate cake recipe that was behind the Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder. Well, the cake wasn't all that moist. Not sure of it was the recipe itself or the coconut oil. The balls were a little difficult to form but I stopped making balls when I finally made enough for my 3 kids (made 15). I had about 2/3 full of a frosting container so I popped it in the microwave for a few seconds then started throwing some of the cake balls in there to coat them. When I was done I put them in the freezer for about an hour so the frosting can harden a bit. All in all, the kids loved them so I guess all that trouble wasn't for nuttin :)

Will post the recipe and pics soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment